Based on the latest study conducted by Health Canada, 16% of lung cancers death in Canada caused by being exposed to radon gas.
What is Radon Gas?
Radon is a test less, odorless and invisible radioactive gas that always available in our surrounding environment. Radon is the production of decayed Uranium which is naturally found in soil and rocks and water. Radon gas can escape from the soil or rocks to the atmosphere and then can get sucked in to the buildings or houses. When radon is in the open atmosphere, it is so diluted and won’t be considered a threat to our health, but when radon find it’s way in to the enclosed areas such as residential and commercial houses or buildings, itcan accumulate to higher level and can cause serious damages to occupant’s health.Radon gas can get sucked in to houses through any gaps or openings in the foundation and floor areas. Winter time when we heat up inside the houses we create stack effect which moves the hot air to the top and create suction in the lower area. That suction helps the radon gas to be pushed in.
Indeed, every house has some radon gas and only with testing it we can find out if it is in harmful level or not.
Exposure to radon gas increase the chance of lung cancer. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. Since Radon is radioactive, it decays. Radon decays are called progeny. Farther breakdown produces Alpha Particles. While they enter in to the lung, alpha particles release some energy and that energy gets absorbed by lung tissues and killsor damages the lung cells and then the damaged lung cells cause lung cancer.
Chance of developing cancer from Radon depends on level of the concentration of Radon gas in the breathing air as well as the length of being exposure to it.
Smokers who are exposed to higher level of radon gas have more increased chance of developing lung cancer.
The good news is that radon gas problems at homes or building can be fixed and that is what we do.
If you haven’t had your home or work place tested for Radon level yet, do yourself and your family a favor and have it done. It is very simple and affordable. Is not worth the risk of it. We can help.